When it comes to first dance songs, there’s a lot of pressure on the bride and groom to make it a good one. You may have attended a friends wedding and they used the song you had your heart set on, or you may just have no idea what song you’d like. Your first dance is an opportunity to show you and your other half’s personality and it’s the part of the day where everyone comes together to celebrate your love. But how do you choose the perfect first dance song? Not only has it got to have the right mood, but you’ve both got to like it and it also has to be a great song that will keep the party pumping.
To make things easy, it’s always advisable to choose a classic first dance song, one that will stand the test of time. You’re most likely to like it forever rather than the latest cheesy one-hit wonder. If slow dance songs aren’t really your thing, don’t be afraid to increase the tempo a little bit with a faster less traditional number. An upbeat first dance song will not only bring a smile to everyone’s faces, but it’ll also mean your friends and family will want to join you on the dance floor sooner rather than later and save you both from an awkward 3 minutes of solo dancing. If you and your significant other have the same taste in music deciding on a first dance song should be a little easier. If your favourite hits are completely different it might be a little harder and a compromise may be required. Whether you’re looking to have a romantic slow-dance moment, an immediate dance party or a first dance that doesn’t take itself too seriously, here are some ideas for wedding first dance songs.
1. Ed Sheeran – ‘Thinking Out Loud’
2. Etta James – ‘At Last’
3. John Legend – ‘All of Me’
4. Elvis Presley – ‘Can’t Help Falling in Love’
5. Eric Clapton – ‘Wonderful Tonight’
6. Ellie Goulding – ‘How Long Will I Love You’
7. Labi Siffre – ‘It Must Be Love’
8. Al Green – ‘Let’s Stay Together’
9. Elton John – ‘Your Song’
10. Elbow – ‘Mirrorball’
11. Tony Bennett – ‘The Way You Look Tonight’
12. Frank Sinatra – ‘It Had To Be You’
13. Frankie Valli – ‘Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You’
14. The Beatles – ‘Something’
15. Lonestar – ‘Amazed’
16. Nora Jones – ‘Come Away With Me’
17. Lionel Richie & Diana Ross – ‘Endless Love’
18. Adele – ‘Sweetest Devotion’
19. Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling from the La La Land Soundtrack – ‘City Of Stars’
20. Stevie Wonder’- For Once In My Life’
If you’re more self-conscious about doing your first dance ask your DJ to play your favourite tune, hold on together for 30 seconds and then ask everyone to join you on the dancefloor. The 30 seconds are for your wedding photographer to get some wedding photographers of the two of you together. And if the pressure of choosing a song gets too much, remember it’s your special day and you don’t have to have the first dance at all if you don’t want to.